Our family can’t get enough of this easy to make Bircher recipe! It’s a delicious soaked fruit muesli, so a great way for babies to get more raw fruit in their diet as it softens up beautifully.
The 6 ingredients don’t need any cooking, just 15 minutes soaking time (or overnight for extra creaminess). The Bircher mix is eaten cold; a fantastic family breakfast in the summer when you fancy a hearty filling meal without having to sweat over hot porridge!
200g of traditional porridge oats
600 mls unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp natural yogurt (we like coconut yogurt)
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
3 apples (1 or 2 will work but 3 gives a lovely appley flavour, we love Granny Smiths but any sweet apples will do!)
Baby friendly: cinnamon, mashed fruit.
For grown ups: Seeds like Sunflowers/Pumpkin/Flax or Chia, Dried fruit (cranberries and chopped apricots are lovely).
- Pour the porridge oats into a large container or jug that will fit in the fridge.
- Add the milk and yogurt to the oats (if you are not soaking your oats over night this is when the soaking time starts – 15 minutes until breakfast!)
- Stir in the desiccated coconut.
- Grate the apples straight into the oaty mix
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime to give a lovely fresh flavour
- Stir the mix (if you are preparing for the next day place in the fridge overnight).
- When your oats are soaked, pour your Bircher into your breakfast bowls, add any additional toppings you fancy and eat straight away.